Army Emergency Relief

afcs_logo Focus Btn

Army Emergency Relief (AER) is the Army's emergency financial assistance program that assists Soldiers, active and retired, their Family members, their widow(ers), and orphans during valid emergencies that require immediate attention. Assistance is provided as an interest-free loan, grant or a combination loan and grant. Any emergency must have originated from other than the Soldier’s own actions (i.e., AWOL, Article 15, or civilian fines). Email 




  1. Soldiers on extended active duty and their Family members
  2. Members of the Army National Guard and the U.S. Army Reserve on continuous active duty under  Title 10 orders for more than 30 consecutive days and  their Family members.
  3. Soldiers retired from active duty because of longevity or physical disability, or retired upon reaching age 60 (Reserve Components) and their Family members; and,
  4. Widows (ers) and orphans of Soldiers who died while on active duty or after they retired.

AER provides help with emergency financial needs for:

  1. Food, rent or utilities
  2. Emergency transportation and vehicle repair, to include rental vehicles
  3. Funeral expenses
  4. Medical/dental expenses
  5. Personal needs when pay is delayed or stolen



AER does not provide funds:

  1. For nonessentials
  2. To finance ordinary leave or vacation
  3. To pay fines or legal expenses
  4. To liquidate or consolidate debt
  5. For purchase of home or home improvements
  6. To cover bad checks or pay credit card bills
  7. Abortions

To receive assistance:

See your unit chain of command. Complete the appropriate form:

AER Form 600 Commander's Referral Form:
AER Form 600 Commander's Referral Checklist and Form
Fillable Form 600 with Instructions new form

or AER Form 700 Application for Financial Assistance:
AER Form 700 App for Financial Assistance Checklist & Form
AER Form 700 App for Financial Assistance Checklist & Form (for Retirees)
Fillable Form 700 with Instructions new form

Start your AER Financial Assistance Application online

We've moved! Visit your AER Section in AFCS Waller Hall,
2140 Liggett Ave.
JBLM Lewis Main 98433
Email AER
AER After-hours Emergencies:
American Red Cross: 1-877-272-7337

Bring your military ID card, Leave and Earnings Statement, and substantiating documents if needed. See checklists linked above for additional details.

You can start your application on-line and complete it at the JBLM AFCS AER office.



AER Campaign (Mar. 1-May 15)

AER provides interest-free loans and grants during times of distress, as well as scholarships for spouses, surviving spouses and children. Contributions can be made via Personal Check, Allotment, Cash, and via Credit/Debit Card. All contributions are tax-deductible.Visit to contribute or for more information.   

Call 253-967-1453 for information about JBLM AER Campaign activities.

AER Support

If there is no military installation of any type within 50 miles of your location, AER has a support agreement with the American Red Cross to assist Soldiers and their families. Click to find the
Red Cross chapter
nearest your location or call the American Red Cross 24 hour Emergency Communication Center at 877-272-7337. Email

Each AER request is personal and is considered on its own merit. 

If you are not near your AER Section, go to any of the following:

  1. Air Force Aid Society
  2. Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society
  3. Coast Guard Mutual Assistance



Educational Assistance for Dependent Children

is also provided for Family members of active duty, retired or deceased Soldiers. The MG James Ursano Scholarship Program was established in 1976 as a secondary mission to help Army Families with undergraduate college expenses for their dependent children.  Scholarships are based on financial need, academics, and leadership/achievement for each academic year. For more information about Army Emergency Relief resources, please visit AER's website:


The Spouse Education Assistance Program (SEAP)

is a need‐based education program designed to provide spouses of active duty or retired Soldiers, and widows(ers) of Soldiers who died either on active duty or in a retired status with financial assistance to pursue a four year college degree.  The purpose of the program is to assist spouses/widows(ers) in gaining the education required to allow them to qualify for increased occupational opportunities. For more information about Army Emergency Relief resources, please visit AER's website:


AFCS Services Locations &
Hours of Operation



Family Resiliency Training for Military Families. Please visit

Donate through AAFES (June & Sep)


FOCUS Magazine



Text Club

Our Services

Army Emergency Relief

AER Contact

253-967-9852 / 9812 / 9787
DSN: 357-9852 / 9812 / 9787
FAX: 253-966-5937
DSN: 347-5937